Most of us know much of Barack Obama, of Nike, of Apple and even the Kardashian gang but do not know much about China and her fabrics. How many Africans do you think know who the president of China is? What are the most famous or iconic Chinese companies? What is and where are Chinese investments in Africa, what is the political system like in China and who are the most influential people in china? In the next few issues, we will be bringing you detailed info-graphics addressing the above.
Incase your wondering why we think this is important; China is now a global powerhouse! Recently, its been investing vast resources into the continent and curving strategic economic positions for herself. In fact, over a million Chinese nationals have already moved to the continent in the last few years and a Chinese military base will soon be standing in Eritrea to guard and protect her interest across the continent. It is thus viable to say that in the nearest future, China and Chinese foreign/domestic policy will impact Africans greatly.
Chinese Investments in Africa
- Overall China’s investments in Africa exceed 40 billion in Foreign Direct Investment. Although China has pledged 100 billion dollars in investment by 2020, this is still a relatively small amount of Africa’s total FDI
Top 5 countries with the largest Chinese investment?
- China has invested in 46 of 54 African countries, mainly with a focus on metals, energy, and infrastructure. Countries with the most Chinese investments include; Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, DRC, Algeria Zambia, South Africa
- Interesting facts
- 100 million people live on less than 1 USD per day.
- Facebook Twitter and The New York Times have been blocked in China since 2009.
- The Chinese New Year is an important Chinese festival celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar. It is also known as the Spring Festival, and lasts 15 days. This year it fell on Feb 8. 2016.
- Popular languages in China are Mandarin and Chinese with mandarin being the most widely spoken language in China
China’s political system
China is a one party state, with real power lying with the Chinese Communist party. The country is governed under the constitution of 1982 as amended. This is the fifth constitution since the accession of the Communists in 1949. The unicameral legislature is the National People’s Congress (NPC), consisting of deputies who are indirectly elected to terms of five years. The NPC decides on national economic strategy, elects or removes high officeholders, and can change China’s constitution.
How is a Chinese president elected/chosen?
The executive branch consists of the president, who is head of state, and the premier, who is head of government. The president is elected by the NPC for a five-year term and is eligible for reelection. The premier is nominated by the president and approved by the NPC. The current president of China is Xi Jingping
Administratively, the country is divided into 22 provinces, five autonomous regions, and four municipalities. Despite the concentration of power in the Communist party, the central government’s control over the provinces and local governments is limited
Around the globe, China is known for its massive population and for being the most populated country in the world. China’s one child policy is a well-known government response to curb the rapid population growth. There is a lingering gender imbalance as a result. The male to female ratio in China is extremely high due to the one child policy and the fact that many people continue to prefer to have a male child instead of a female.
Historical Facts and Statistics
- Some of the defining moments in Chinese history include the Opium War, the 1911 Revolution, the Communist victory in 1949, the Cultural Revolution of 1966, and the role of Sun Yat-sen, Chiang Kai- shek and Mao Zedong.
Best known for?
- China is best known for the invention of gunpowder, paper and printing.
What are the top Chinese brands? Great wall Motors is China’s largest SUV maker, TCL is a Chinese TV manufacturer which also provides an integrated product with online video. China mobile Ltd is the world’s largest telecom carrier. Tsingtao Brewery is China’s largest beer maker and the top selling Chinese brand in the US is Haier a Chinese company that is one of the top 5 home appliance manufacturing brands in the world. Huawei is another widely known Chinese telecom equipment giant and smartphone vendor. Lenovo is also a widely known Chinese brand of personal computers.
Chinese popular Culture
Most popular celebrity is Fan Binhbing who is a Chinese actress, television producer and pop singer. She topped the Forbes China Celebrity 100 list in 2013, 2014 and 2015, after ranking in the top 10 every year since 2006. Other famous people include Yao Ming who is a former basketball player who played for the Houston Rockets in the NBA. Jackie Chan and Jet Li are also very widely known movie celebrities in China.
- Table tennis is the most popular sport in China it is also the countries national sport.
China’s biggest expenditures are in three sectors. It spends over 3.3 trillion Yuan on its interest payments, debt, commodity reserves, foreign affairs and public housing. It also spends 2.3 trillion Yuan on Education, 1.4 on Social security and employment, 1.3 on Agriculture, forestry and water and another 1.3 trillion on Public service
Initially published in TAP MAG ISSUE 6